12 August, 2011

Packing Time!

Chaos-amended by...
....expert cramming! (kitty not included)

Soo even though I've been gathering items for the past 2 months (probably overkill) it has come down to the final decisions on what to bring. First, I collected the things I've specifically heard were difficult or expensive to find in Senegal and then moved on from there. I used the packing lists from several PC Senegal blogs to create mine so I feel I should pay it forward and post my complete packing list. My bags are one large Kelty Span pack (like backpackers wear), a medium sized rolly duffel and a regular sized Jansport backpack for carry on. After I've spent a few months in country I will edit this post to include stuff I wished I'd brought and things that ended up being extraneous. I imagine the contents of anyone's Peace Corps luggage is unique so bringing the stuff you know YOU will want is more important then following some packing list verbatim.
Today the Senegal Country Director send us two short quizzes on readings we got last week (one Wolof language quiz and one about technical training stuff for our assignment). I plan on taking them both tomorrow morning after reviewing my Wolof lessons one last time. It has been a busy week but not overwhelming or anything. My father kept me sane by taking me to the Brooklyn Botannical Gardens yesterday and my mother helped me pack today (they are a delight). I'll be ending the week by gathering all my friends and family at my favorite local dive for one more night out in Bay Ridge. And now the moment you've all been waiting for...

The List!

Electronics and Gear:
Olympus Digital Camera (nothing fancy-old but totally still works)
Mini Netbook (I bought this in lieu of my heavy/clunky laptop)
Two flash drives and one SD card
200 G external hard drive
Ipod and tiny cheapo sansa mp3 player (the little one is good for running and weekend trips)
Solar shortwave radio (Eton)
Solar flashlight
Solar cellphone/battery charger
AA and AAA rechargeable Batteriis
Two headlamps
Light sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner
Quick dry towel
Stuff sac pillow
Leatherman multi-tool, pocket knife, and gardening multi-tool (and a whetstone for sharpening)
Nerdy Casio watch (the kind where the alarm is always going off and you can never figure out how to re-set the thing)

Clothes:
3 Skirts
5 blouses/t-shirts
3 pairs hiking capris
1 pair basketball shorts
2 pair light cotton capris for sleeping
1 fleece
1 hoodie
1 rain slicker
1 pair of Teva Mush Flip-flops
1 pair of Teva Dozer hiking sandal thingys (Several companies give discounts to Peace Corps volunteers -Teva is one of them.)
1 pair of slip on dress shoes
1 pair running shoes
2 pair smartwool socks
a whole bunch of undies (some are even that fancy quick dry kind but I'm assuming classic cotton will do)
2 hats (one of those Central American dictator ones and one with a big floppy brim all the way around)

Toiletries:
1 bottle Dr. Bronners soap
1 small conditioner
1 small shampoo
1 badger balm
1 bottle immodium
1 Deva cup and 2 cloth pantiliners
nail clippers
tweezers
hair ties and bobby pins
brush
hair cutting scissors and comb
one bottle bug spray one bottle sun screen (can get more in country)

Other Stuff:
Sweet Dreams by Daniel Dennett
French/English Dictionary
Xylophone file holder (currently filled with Cornell aggie info)
6 Cahier Moleskine notebooks (medium)
1 Moleskine planner
30 Pack Bic Pens
Colored Pencils
Sewing kit
Crystal Light drink powder
Box of Granola bars
Photo album with pictures of my family and neighborhood (and of course Charlie cat)


Obviously there are other things like my PC handbook and some small personal toiletries (face wash etc) that I know I like to have. Pretty much this is what's coming with me...first to our staging even in Washington D.C. on Monday and then to training in Thies, Senegal on Tuesday the 30th !

My next post will be from training. Thank you to all the people (family, friends, [R]PCVs, Professors, fellow students) who have supported me and gotten me ready for this exciting adventure. I will miss everyone but I can't wait to see what's next!







No comments:

Post a Comment